Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Smokers.

Cigarettes are, in the words of Peter Jennings, "the only product that you can buy virtually anywhere which, when used as directed, kills more than 400,000 Americans a year."

The more I think about it, the more fed up I am with smokers. I can't get over how incredibly ignorant and selfish they are.

They know smoking causes cancer, but they do it anyway. They can't use the excuse that they didn't know about the dangers of smoking, like their great-grandparents did.

More importantly, though, they know secondhand smoke kills. If smokers want to slowly kill themselves, it seems that no one can stop them. But, smokers, don't even act like you have the right to slowly kill everyone else. No, smokers shouldn't be allowed to smoke in public places. I'd like to see smoking banned in every restaurant. Would that infringe on smokers' "rights"? Maybe. But I'm more concerned with the rights of people to live and breathe easy than the right of people to smoke.

Smoking sections make little difference. Oooh, there's half a wall separating the smokers and nonsmokers! Big deal. That doesn't stop smoke, mkay. And what about the restaurant employees? They're subjected to the smoke of multiple smokers every night.

I hate the smokers' argument that if they get harassed for smoking when it's harmful, why aren't we telling obese people to put down their hamburger and stop eating?

Well, the last time I knew, there was no such thing as secondhand fat.

And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments: