Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Books Read, 2005.

For my own edification, a listing of all of the books I read in 2005.

# = recommended

Fiction

Home Away From Home by Lorna J. Cook
# The Bright Forever by Lee Martin
One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
# Sula by Toni Morrison (discussed here)
# Midwives: A Novel by Chris Bohjalian
# The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (discussed here)
# Life of Pi by Yann Martel
# The Myth of You and Me by Leah Stewart
# "Brokeback Mountain" by E. Annie Proulx (discussed here and here)

Nonfiction

A Small Place by Jamaica Kincaid
Essentials of Corporate Finance by Stephen A. Ross, Randolph W Westerfield, Bradford D Jordan, and Bradford Jordan
Managerial Accounting, 11th Edition by Ray H Garrison, Eric Noreen, and Peter C. Brewer

7 comments:

Nick said...

A LOT of peopel have recommended a Life of Pi. But really how interesting is to read about an apple pie's life getting baked and digested? Dear god that joke was lame.

Nick said...

Oh and why didn't you recommend Managerial Accounting? I mean it's the 11th edition so it MUST be popular. I can imagine the intrique. Tom the account hunts down corporate thieves only to be fired! The Drama THE DRAMA!!!!

Sorry I had coffee today...

Stefanie said...

Hahaha. What? That joke is so bad!

The book is actually about a boy on a lifeboat with various zoo animals--including a tiger--after a shipwreck. Goood, but I think it drags on too long.

Mangerial Accounting actually is interesting, if you like accounting!

Nick said...

I will take your word on it :D I rather read the book on the boy getting eaten by tigers.

Na I have some geeky books that I like a lot because the subject interests me.

Stefanie said...

He doesn't get eaten by tigers! : )

The book is good because there's a twist at the end--but then there's another twist, because you don't know if the first twist is real or not.

Nick said...

Now that song, "Let's do the twist" is stuck in my head now...

Nick said...

And Yes that was totally random! :D