Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Oprah's Book Club Status.

Because I know you are all dying to know how my goal of reading all of Oprah's Book Club books is going, here's an update. Not so well, I'm afraid. Books I've read in italics. I've read most of some others, but I guess I haven't "technically" finished them, so I won't mark them.

Italics means I own it.
Bold means I've read it.

***

The Book of Ruth: A Novel by Jane Hamilton
Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard
The Meanest Thing to Say (A Little Bill Book for Beginning Readers) by Bill Cosby
The Best Way to Play (A Little Bill Book for Beginning Readers) by Bill Cosby
The Treasure Hunt (A Little Bill Book for Beginning Readers) by Bill Cosby

Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons
A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons
A Lesson Before Dying : A Novel by Ernest J. Gaines
Songs in Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris
The Heart of a Woman by Maya Angelou
The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds
Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts
Midwives: A Novel by Chris Bohjalian
What Looks Like Crazy On An Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat
Black and Blue: A Novel by Anna Quindlen
Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman
Paradise by Toni Morrison
A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton
Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay
River, Cross My Heart by Breena Clarke
Tara Road by Maeve Binchy
Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes
White Oleander: A Novel by Janet Fitch
The Pilot's Wife: A Novel by Anita Shreve
The Reader by Bernhard Schlink, Carol Brown Janeway
Jewel by Bret Lott
House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III
Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz
Open House by Elizabeth Berg
The Poisonwood Bible: A Novel by Barbara Kingsolver
While I Was Gone by Sue Miller
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell
Daughter of Fortune: A Novel by Isabel Allende
Gap Creek: A Novel by Robert Morgan
We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates
Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio
Stolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail by Malika Oufkir, et al
Cane River by Lalita Tademy
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
Sula by Toni Morrison
Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, et al
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
As I Lay Dying/The Sound and the Fury/Light in August by William Faulkner
A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
Night by Elie Wiesel

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Must be tough reading Bill Cosby. Actually I can picture him reading it. Maybe he as an audiobook.

iWoman said...

Haha. I think they might be kids' books! Can't figure out why they're on the list. Prob. have some sappy moral.

Anonymous said...

Well he has always had a lot to say about parenting.

iWoman said...

That is true. I remember one of my high school teachers used to play a tape of Cosby comedy to us in class, and it was stuff about his kids. Not sure what it had to do with English, though.

Anonymous said...

Because Cosby didn't speak in Spanish so it was about English.