Tuesday, January 16, 2007

"I read the body count out of the paper..."

"...and now it's written all over my face."

Honestly, I am amazed and grudgingly impressed at how well Bush's machine spins the truth, even in the face of ever dwindling approval ratings.

Some portion of America must continue to hang in there.

The latest spin is Condoleeza Rice's spew of "liberals are anti-feminist" (paraphrased, I'm sure).

During Rice's recent testimony before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Senator Barbara Boxer drew attention to the issue that the president, his administration, Congress--even Boxer herself!--have no real sacrifice or investment in the war in Iraq, no family to lose.

Rice (with Karl Rove's help, obviously) thusly accuses Boxer of being an anti-feminist and attacking Rice for being a single, childless woman!

What claptrap. I am amazed that some people are buying into this interpretation, such as Elisabitch on the View, who speaks for all sad, brainwashed conservative women. I hope she is firmly in the minority.

I wouldn't know it, though, from reading some accounts by the media! What "liberal media"? All of the major networks are owned by conservative corporations! See how talented they are?

I'm going to believe that people have greater comprehension skills of a three-year-old, because it would cause me serious pains otherwise.

Why? Because below is Boxer's actual quote:

    “Who pays the price? I’m not going to pay a personal price. My kids are too old and my grandchild is too young. You’re not going to pay a particular price, as I understand it, with an immediate family. So who pays the price? The American military and their families. And I just want to bring us back to that fact.”
Did she belittle Rice for being a single-woman? Not in the way Rice means. She's calling out all of the people who expect families to fight a war they created, all of the people who are using regular citizens as mere pawns on their chessboard.

And Rice knows exactly what Boxer meant, so she can shove her mock outrage and indignation.

And shut up about how Rice can "empathize." Fuck your empathy. Empathy is not the same damn thing as seeing your sister or son or cousin come home in a body-bag. Jackass.

P.S., If anyone wants to see actual examples of "anti-feminism" from a woman, look no further than Laura Bush, who said Rice would never run for president because she has no family to support her.

Exact quote:
    "Dr. Rice, who I think would be a really good candidate (for President), is not interested. Probably because she is single, her parents are no longer living, she's an only child. You need a very supportive family and supportive friends to have this job."

No comments: