Saturday, August 02, 2008

We are all made of stars.

Way cool.

The brother, his friend, and I were sitting out by the pond tonight, looking at the stars.

For the first time ever, I was able to pick out a constellation!

I saw the Big Dipper, the North Star, the Milky Way, some kind of planet, and three satellites. I saw two other groupings that I thought must be constellations as well, but I couldn't identify them by name.

The brother and his friend saw a shooting star (or possibly a meteorite), though. Jealous!

ETA: One of the constellations is called the Queen (Cassiopeia)!

ETA #2: I went back out. We found the King (Cepheus), the Little Dipper, and the Dragon (Draco).

We think the planet we saw was Jupiter. I am 99 percent sure, because underneath it, we found the Shield (Scutum).

So if we saw Jupiter, then we also were prob. looking right at the Archer (Sagittarius). I don't think I could pick out enough of the shape to say I identified it, though. So I was looking at it but didn't know that I was looking at it.

And, hey, I saw three shooting stars (or meteorites).

We also saw another planet. We're not sure which one. Maybe Neptune, as it is supposed to be visible now.

This site is really useful for picking out objects in the sky.

I prob. could have found more objects, but I'm tuckered out from being at Vintage Ohio all day.

And when I first posted this, or made an edit, the time stamp read 11:11 p.m. One day, I might write a post about how I am always looking at the clock when it reads 11:11. It's really creeping me out.

2 comments:

Sarah V. said...

I want to be made of stars!

And this is funny--I'm always looking at the clock when it's 10:10! I've done it for years but have never told anyone (until now). And I get upset and fear I'll have a bad day when I look at the clock and it's 10:11. So strange!

iWoman said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a weird clock time! It really freaked me out when I started seeing 11:11 all the time.

I love star gazing now. I'm so proud for finding that many constellations and planets.

Throughout August there should be a lot of meteor showers and shooting stars. I glanced out a couple of times yesterday, and I saw two huge, bright ones.

Jupiter is also very visible right now. He hangs out by the moon, early in the night.