Sunday, July 31, 2005

Movie Rec: _Dear Frankie_

I just watched the movie Dear Frankie, and I positively adore it. It stars Gerard Butler (also known as my mom's boyfriend), Emily Mortimer, and Jack McElhone as Frankie. Summary from IMDB: "After having responded to her son's numerous letters in the guise of his father, a woman hires a stranger to pose as his dad when meeting him."

If I had to use one word to describe this movie, I would say it's v. touching. I just love the story, and the actors are all really good. All of them convey so many emotions and thoughts with just their facial expressions.

I wish little movies would get recognized more, instead of the dime-a-dozen "blockbusters."

Like I mentioned before, the plot and acting is amazing, but it also doesn't hurt that Butler is (and I almost don't want to mention it because it could seem to cheapen my love of the movie) one sexy bastard. Whew.

The only quibble I have with the movie, and it's a small one, is that some of the songs in the movie seem inappropriate for the scenes they're used in. I think soundtrack is important, but two songs in this movie, in particular, seemed to intrude on the scene, not quite throwing me out of the movie, but threatening to.

No comments: