Monday, July 11, 2005

Here on Turtle Island.

Yesterday I attended an American Indian festival. I'm part Shoshoni (further back than I'd like...), so I'm always trying to experience their culture. I always joke with my parents that I'm going to go live with my People. :)

Anyway, they had a Pow Wow going on, and to the amazement of my parents, I actually joined in and danced with the Indians! It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I learned a traditional women's dance and took part in the "free-style" all-Tribes dance. Just when I started to get into the dance, you know, ready to do spins like I saw the real Indians do, the drums stopped! So I wished I had worked up the nerve to jump in the ring earlier. I'm going to buy an American Indian music CD soon, with drums and chants and etc.

But now I'm obsessed with turtles. I've decided they're my new favorite thing, and I'm going to start collecting turtle-objects. I bought two charms at the festival yesterday, and I'm busy making turtle icons.

...but, I mean, how many people can say they danced in an American Indian ceremony?

This song reminds me of turtles swimming in the ocean: "starálfur" by sigur rós.

This song is so beautiful and haunting that I almost can't bear to listen to it. Do you know what I mean? It's from one of the last scenes in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. If you've seen the movie, you'll remember this song. ...the band is from Iceland.

I'm going to toss bread out to the snapping turtles in my pond now. :)

No comments: