Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Bette Davis.

Bette Davis is the Artist of the Month for Turner Classic Movies. That means that about five of her movies will be played every Wednesday/Thursday this month. Yea! Tonight the first one to be shown is Dark Victory.

Bette Davis is prob. my favorite actress. Hell, she's my favorite woman! That woman was something else. She's the first female actress who didn't take any shit from anyone and went after what she wanted. She's v. empowering for women. And guess what, she isn't one of those fragile, pretty ladies, either. I wouldn't call her traditionally "pretty." It's her personality that makes her attractive. And she wasn't afraid to play the bitch, either. She was a bitch in a good portion of her movies, hell!

Check out her biography at imdb.com and read the quotes.

The ones about her feud with Joan Crawford? Ouch.

    "Why am I so good at playing bitches? I think it's because I'm not a bitch. Maybe that's why Miss Crawford always plays ladies."

    "She has slept with every male star at MGM except Lassie."

"I'd marry again if I found a man who had fifteen million dollars, would sign over half to me, and guarantee that he'd be dead within a year."

Oh, Bette Davis. You are fabulous.

"Today everyone is a star - they're all billed as 'starring' or 'also starring'. In my day, we earned that recognition."

Go watch some Bette Davis movies! My favorite of hers is Now, Voyager, but that is actually probably not her best performance or movie. It's just my personal favorite. ; )

No comments: