Saturday, November 18, 2006

Coins.

I don't approve of the new $1 coins.

I think putting the faces of the presidents on the coins is redundant. I don't have a problem with honoring some of the presidents, but half of them are worthless and others have already been honored! Why can't women or minorities be on the coins? Why do we have to keep honoring dead white men? Why hasn't MLK Jr.'s face been put on money yet?

I wouldn't even have a problem with white, male authors or scientists or doctors being honored--as long as women and minorities were honored, too. Just no more dead presidents!

And these men are replacing a women's suffrage pioneer, Susan B. Anthony, and an American Indian woman, Sacagawea. No.

I don't like the hook of this article, either. "The U.S. Mint is hoping that Martin Van Buren and Millard Fillmore can do what Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea couldn't--get Americans to use dollar coins." The coins did not fail because of who was on them!

I will take the Bill Clinton coin, though. But apparently he has to die before he can appear on the coin, so let's not hurry that, okay?

No comments: