Saturday, September 01, 2007

A book.

I'm reading Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters: The Frightening New Normalcy of Hating Your Body by Courtney E. Martin, and I am incredibly disappointed. I'm not going to finish reading it, because I don't like having a scowl on my face the entire time I'm reading something. I was so looking forward to reading this book, but it's such a failure at what I assume the author was trying to accomplish. Here's this young woman, writing about eating disorders and the emphasis on women to be "perfect." I would think that I would come away from this book feeling as though beautiful women come in all shapes and sizes, but I don't. I would think that I wouldn't encounter sizest language and comments, but I do (however unconscious they may be). I can't imagine how this book would be helpful to anyone. Every women she mentions is divided into "thin" and "fat" - I wonder why there is no in-between, what her divisions are based on, and why can't a woman just be? She doesn't challenge what is considered beautiful or healthy, and when she makes some half-assed attempt, I don't believe her. There are much better books on weight issues out there that aren't written by someone who seems to want to make both "fat" and "thin" women feel ashamed and worthless.

No comments: